Friday, August 08, 2008

The Eight on 8-8-08


Remember how I blogged about the 82 books I dragged home from BEA?? Well, what I didn't say was that one (or was it three?) of those books was the looooong awaited sequel to Katherine Neville's amazing novel, THE EIGHT.

I read THE EIGHT,  a very very long time ago after my sister handed it to me and said- You must read this! And since she's older than me, which gives her some sort of dubious authority, I did. I read it quickly, and I loved it so much I turned around and read it again. And now, something like twenty years later its sequel, THE FIRE,  will be published in October!

And while I haven't yet had a chance to read the ARC I dragged home from BEA, mostly because I want to reread THE EIGHT first and I haven't had a chance to do that either, I was thrilled when I learned that starting today-- and continuing for eight days-- you can download a FREE copy of THE EIGHT by visiting HERE.

How cool is that?

And speaking of cool . . . this awesome review from School Library Journal just came in for CRUEL SUMMER, the beginning is the usual story summary, so I'll just cut to the good stuff:

"The protagonist's venting and observations are alternately whiny, wistful, strident, and hilarious. Despite typical teen self obsession, Colby is likable and ultimately well intentioned. As she deals with her feelings, she blunders her way rather charmingly into a new maturity."

Well, that's it for now-- have a good day everyone!
 

6 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

Fantastic review! Congrats! :)

And I want to check out THE EIGHT. Wow, 82 books? Where do you keep them? :)

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Keri- You should totally check it out- it's a really fun read!
Oh, and the books are in several, very unattractive piles-- it's seriously not pretty!

Anonymous said...

Oh, two more books for my TBR list! I may never do anything but read ever again the list is so long!

Just finished CRUEL SUMMER. Good reviews are well-deserved.

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Amy- I know I'll never get through my TBR pile either, and yet, I keep adding to it!
Thanks for the kind words on CRUEL SUMMER!

Anonymous said...

All right, I've owned a copy of The Eight forever, but I still haven't read it. After seeing this, though, I'm pushing it closer to the top of the list.

Oh, and congratulations on the great review!

Alyson Noel said...

Caryn-
You haven't read it???
(eye's bugging out in shock!)
Though truth be told, I really need to re-read it before I read the sequel since I read it soooo long ago . . .