Monday, May 05, 2008

How to Save a Life



Yesterday, my husband and I were in the desert, driving around in a rented U-haul with a very long to do list, when the damn thing just died. Though it's not like we were all that surprised since it died not long after we picked it up. And it continued to die five times after that.

But we weren't all that worried, because we came prepared. We had a portable charger with us. So we both hopped out, assumed our positions, and waited for the engine to turn.

Only this time it didn't.

So we tried again.

And again.

And when we finally realized it wasn't going to happen, my husband called U-haul, who proceeded to jack us around for 2.5 hours, when they had a facility less than ten miles away. Apparently, we were told, it is not their policy to give the customer a new truck that works when the old one breaks down. Instead they locate a mechanic who comes to your location, pokes around, and eventually tries to fix it (while you sit in a very hot parking lot losing daylight). But this being Sunday and all, that mechanic was so not happening.

Needless to say, our nerves were fried, our unhappiness declared, threats to contact corporate headquarters leveled, and then my husband looked at me and said- Forget this. I'm calling AAA. Ten minutes later they arrived, and 30 seconds later, the engine was humming again. All on our dime, but hey, we had a list to complete.

So we climbed back in, completed our tasks, dropped the U-haul off, and were in the middle of reliving the event, cursing U-haul and the entire customer service department, while verbally composing the letter we'd write to the top brass--when we stopped at a light and saw the cutest little mixed breed on the planet-- wandering dangerously close to the curb of a heavily trafficked, 4 stop intersection.

I think I said--Oh no!

As my husband said- We've got to save him!

And I jumped out of our car, called the pup to me, and checked out his tag.

His name was Fluffy. Though they must have named him in the winter since he'd been recently shaved down for the summer and there was nothing fluffy about him. But the good news was, he had a home. And while my husband called the owners, I stood on the curb, cuddling the little pooch and letting him drink from my water bottle.

And the funny thing was- nearly everyone who drove by yelled stuff like-- Way to go! Good for you! Oh, I'm so glad you saved him! And then a firetruck drove by and all of the firemen gave me the thumbs up.

And when the owners arrived and the little boys eyes lit up when he saw Fluffy, I realized how the entire mood had been lifted. How we were able to get out of our negative energy U-haul fiasco, simply by helping someone else.

And, as it is with karma, the rest of the day was awesome.

Any karma tales you're willing to share? I'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

What a cute dog and great story! Oh, I believe in karma and I'm very careful with it. I've even turned my hubby in a believer.

BTW - You've been tagged! Have a great Tuesday! :)

Erica Orloff said...

Wow . . . you're my hero today.
:-) Great story!

I have been a volunteer since I was a teen . . . I taught ESL to war refugees; then I became a mentor to unwed teen mothers in some brutal urban settings. All I know is, like everyone, I have days that I bitch and moan and whine about my life. And I know there were days when I just didn't want to show up to my mentor gig--I was tired, and I had four kids of my own, and . . . and. . . . you know the drill. But I always found those were the days I was most glad I showed, that somehow God showed me that doing unto others is really why we're here.

It's all karma.
E

Jessica Burkhart said...

I loved this story! I've jumped out of the car before to get a cat out of a busy street, so I know your feeling of "OMG, I have to do something." :)

Alyson Noel said...

Keri- Ooh tagged, as in you're it?? Okay, I'm heading over to your blog now. . .

Erica- You're my hero everyday. And yup, it's like, I already knew that, I just needed the nudge out of my own little drama, which was so not important!

Hey Jessica- I pretty much figured you for a fellow animal lover!