Saturday, January 26, 2008

Weekend Reading



As a former flight attendant, I love reading anything that accurately captures the-
hurling-through-a-metal-tube-at-37,000-feet-at-600-miles-an-hour
experience.
And trust me, this piece does not disappoint. It's called JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, written for the NEW YORKER by the, he's-so-dang-funny-and-poignant-I-can-hardly-stand-it, David Sedaris.

If you like to travel, laugh while you cry, or just nod your head while thinking-
That's it! That's exactly what it's like!

Then click HERE.


PS- I can fully vouch for the authenticity of his essay, as I flew for that very airline. . .Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Susan Hatler said...

As a former flight attendant, I bet you miss all the books (and mags) passengers left on the plane when they were done with them. Did you even pay for a book back then?

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Susan,
I used to scope them out early in the flight, making a mental list that went something like- Seat 37C has an Instyle, looks like she's almost finished with it; Note to self, 1A just shoved PEOPLE magazine in seat back pocket . . .then the second they disembarked we made a run for them!
On the shuttle flights I'd read 3-4 newspapers a day- all free!
Ah, those were the perks-- made all that polyester seem totally worth it!

Jessica Burkhart said...

I love Dave, too! I'll add this to my list. :)

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Jessica-
You won't be disappointed--it's classic Sedaris!