Tuesday, October 14, 2008

GCC Presents . . .Stacy DeKeyser!!!!


Hey Everyone-

This time around on the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit tour, I'm thrilled to host fabu author Stacy DeKeyser, and her amazing new novel, JUMP THE CRACKS.

Here's the scoop:

What would you do?

As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse not to be decent...Especially when you're responsible for a kid.

It just figures that fifteen-year old Victoria's dad fails once again to be at the train station like he's promised. Fuming, Victoria watches as a teen mom stashes her bruised little boy in the train's bathroom. When the mom gets off the train alone, Victoria decides she has had it with all the poor excuses who call them selves parents. Making a split-second decision, Victoria boards the next train out of town-taking the little boy with her.

No, really, what would you do?

Victoria's staying on the run until everyone responsible starts keeping their promises. This kid's not falling through the cracks. Not on her watch.


Wow, sounds amazing right? Well, there's more! Here's the same 5 questions I always ask:

1. Every story has a backstory, what's the backstory for your book?


I saw an upsetting incident on a train that was basically the same as the catalyst for the action in the novel. It really bothered me that there was nothing I could do to help a stranger's child who might be in an abusive home. So I decided to write a story where someone DID do something, and that's how Jump the Cracks came about. It was very therapeutic, even though Victoria causes more trouble than she solves.


2. What's your work environment like? Any rituals, totems, or must haves?


I work in an extra bedroom at home. It has pretty views of woods and a pond.

I must have coffee first thing. I must have quiet. (A little background music is good, but no voices, only instrumental). I can't launch right into writing. I read my email, favorite blogs, etc. I stare out the window. Then when I start to worry that nothing else is getting done...laundry, grocery shopping, vaccuuming... I start writing.


3. If you could live inside any book-- which would it be?


Ooh, fun question, but hard! I think maybe Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I'd love to see the city of Bath, England at its peak, and wear beautiful long dresses. But only for a few days!


4. What book rocked your world growing up?


This is surprisingly hard to answer. I can't name only one single book. I did love the gentle humor and plays on words in the Winnie the Pooh stories my mom read to me. That's still my favorite kind of humor.

The old Dick Van Dyke Show reruns on TV were a huge influence in a lot of ways, mostly because I could watch someone making their living as a writer. I wanted to do that.


5. If you could visit any time, place, or person- what, where, or who would it be?


I wish I could meet Sacagawea. My first book was a short biography of her, and I'm so in awe of her strength and intelligence. She was teenage Shoshone girl alone among 32 white male soldiers, and yet she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself. She's one of my heroes.


What people are saying about JUMP THE CRACKS:

"Bracingly realistic….With a combination of lively adventure and humane treatment of its characters, this is an absorbing and emotionally effective read.” —
BCCB

"Strong characters and fast-paced action." — VOYA

"Thought-provoking....Introspective tweeners will find plenty to chew on." — Booklist

“Teens are sure to find this an interesting read.” — School Library Journal

"Teen kidnaps toddler--or does she? The story was terrific...The ending fits the story perfectly."
Linda Sue Park, Newbery-winning author

"Julia LOVES your book. She has told a few kids in her 6th grade class about it and has informed me that they get first dibs on reading her copy before me!" mother of Julia, age 12

“I thought it was amazing! I couldn't put it down. The end almost made me cry.” Jessica, age 17


Nominated for YALSA's Popular Paperback for Young Adults 2009!

Nominated for the Texax Lone Star Reading List 2009

Under consideration for the 2009 Edgar Award



FAQs and Trivia about Stacy:

Favorite food: Chocolate

Favorite food that's not 98% sugar: This changes pretty much daily. Check here for today's answer!

Refuses to eat: Coconut; raw onions.

Favorite color: Red. No, pink. No, red. Definitely red...I think.

Pets: A golden retriever named Chipper (after Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves).

Sisters: Three

Brothers: Zero

Favorite sport to watch: Baseball

Favorite sport to play: Does bike riding count?

Favorite book: This is another answer that will change often. This week: Pentalty by Mal Peet.

Afraid of: Roller coasters; centipedes.

Jobs I've had: Dishwasher, laundress, snack bar waitress, proofreader, hospital analyst, medical transcriptionist, receptionist. (Come to think of it, I'm still most of those things.)

website: http://stacydekeyser.com
blog: http://stacy-dekeyser.livejournal.com/
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/stacydekeyser



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That book sounds amazing. And what a great concept. I can totally see a movie out of this.

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Amy-
I know! The first thing I thought when I read the premise was -- WOW!!!

❀ Stacy DeKeyser said...

Hi Alyson,
Thanks for the nice profile. Hey, I look good in pink! :)

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Stacy- My pleasure! Your book is amazing!