Tuesday, April 28, 2009

GCC Presents . . . Linda Gerber!!!

Hey Everyone-

This week I'm thrilled to host awesome author and  fellow Teen Fiction Cafe patron, Linda Gerber, who's latest  (and third!) book in her DEATH BY series, DEATH BY DENIM, will hit the stores on May 14!!


Here's the story:

Aphra Connolly is being chased by some very dangerous people. She knows her survival depends upon staying far away from love interest Seth, and listening to her mom’s lectures on the finer points of anonymity and survival. But how is a girl supposed to live under the radar and not think about her boyfriend when she’s in Paris—the most romantic city in the world? When her mom’s contact in Paris is found floating in the Seine with a deadly message stuffed in his mouth, Aphra realizes that she will never be able to stop running unless she confronts the situation head-on. Sneaking away from her mom, Aphra tracks down the criminal mastermind in Italy, only to unwittingly reveal Seth’s location. And her mistake has just put them both in mortal danger. . . .


Here's the Praise:

“Starting with a heart-pounding chase scene… Gerber weaves in some major cultural landmarks as Aphra races through Paris and then Italy on a mission to expose the would-be assassin and rescue her love interest, Seth. Taut suspense… along with interesting tips of the espionage trade, will propel readers to the neat ending.” - Booklist

“Death by Denim, the third book in Linda Gerber's fun, action-packed, and suspenseful series, is just as riveting as its prequels. Gerber's style is not only modern and down to earth, but cunning and intelligent as well… Aphra is an engaging and lively narrator whose bravery and smarts readers will admire. Equal parts action, romance, and mystery, Death by Denim is a fun-filled and engrossing read that will appeal to fans of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series.” – The Compulsive Reader

“Gerber does not disappoint with this exciting novel from her Death by… series. Gerber’s strength is by far in creating such a thrilling and fast paced plot that will keep readers on the edge of their seats. …Death by Denim is a wholly enjoyable read, full of action, romance, and international flair. Fans of Death by Bikini and Death by Latte, the earlier installments in this series, won’t want to miss Death by Denim. Teen girls in particular looking for a fast and fun mystery to devour will enjoy Gerber’s Death by… series.” - The Book Muncher

“Nancy Drew meets "Alias" in the latest fast-paced, murder-mystery romance.”
- Paddyfield

*** Top Choice Award - Flamingnet Book Reviews ***

Praise for the DEATH BY series:

“Will capture mystery fans.” – Booklist

“Strong writing and plenty of plot twists.” -The Providence Journal

“Fast-paced, fun, and maybe just a little scary.”-YA New York

Just “the right amount of intrigue, suspense, humor and romance.”-Flamingnet Book Reviews

“Five enchantments.”-Enchanting Reviews

“Refreshing read.”-Simply Books


Here's the same 5 questions I always ask:

1. Every story has a backstory, what's the backstory for your book?

With this series, I came up with the first title, DEATH BY BIKINI, but my publisher suggested the next two titles, based on the locations I had proposed. When I said the third book would go international and be set in Europe, I was kind of surprised when the title they liked was DEATH BY DENIM. Great, I thought. Now I have to figure out how to kill someone with denim without using the methods in the first two books (strangulation would have been so easy, right? Or maybe poison in the fabric that would leech into my victim’s skin...) As it turns out, the denim actually became more than a method of death – it became a major plot point. AND gave me the cutest book cover ever.  I’m glad my publisher suggested it!

2. What's your work environment like? Any rituals, totems, or must haves?

I'm a mom who travels, so I have to be really flexible with my work environment. I've written my share of chapters on the sidelines, in airports or on trains. Some of my favorite places to write: in Japan I had a desk in our living room that overlooked a stand of bamboo and a sakura tree. Sigh. In our current house I have my own office, but my favorite place to write is in an easy chair, looking out at the woods in our back yard. My mojo is a little sumo figurine I got in Tokyo. He stands on my desk in the office looking fierce and telling me to stop messing around on youtube and get back to work…

3. If you could live inside any book-- which would it be?

Oooh. That's tough because there are so many places to choose. I'd love to live in Ella's world in Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted. And I wouldn't mind living in that haunted bedroom in Meg Cabot's Mediator series as long as it came complete with the hot Spanish ghost! And I’d love to hang out in Summerland in Evermore!

4. What book rocked your world growing up?

I don't know about rocking my world, but the book I remember as the turning point for me where I became a full-blown book addict was As the Red Fern Grows. It was the first book I stayed up all night under the covers reading because I had to know what was going to happen next. That was way back in grade school, but still tear up thinking about that final scene with the fern between the dogs' graves. *sniff* And I've had many an all-night book affair since then!

5. If you could visit any time, place, or person- what, where, or who would it be?

I'd go back to Los Angeles the 20's and hang out with my Grandpa, Leo Cowan. He was really cool and had a great sense of humor when I knew him (he died several years ago) and from the stories he told, he was kind of a rebel when he was young. It would have been a kick to know him then.

Here's Linda's Story:

Linda Gerber recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan, where she served as the Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Her books include SASS: NOW AND ZEN, SASS: THE FINNISH LINE and the YA mysteries DEATH BY BIKINI, DEATH BY LATTE and DEATH BY DENIM. She currently lives and writes in Dublin, OH, blissfully ignoring her husband, kids, and one very naughty puppy.

You can find Linda online here:
http://lindagerber.com
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=518643863
http://lindagerber.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/gerbsan

2 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

Great interview, Linda and Alyson! Two amazing authors with two amazing series. :)

I remember reading WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS.. And re-reading and re-reading. :) I guess it was during my troubled time with reading comprehension.

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Keri-

Aw, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS . . . I remember it well!