Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Suffragette City


In case you've been living under a rock, let me remind you that today is election day. And though I won't be so presumptious as to tell you how to vote (though I do have strong opinions on the matter!), I will urge you to get out there and do it. To head for your nearest polling place, cast your ballot, and wear your little "I Voted" sticker for the rest of the day!

It wasn't so long ago that women weren't allowed that kind of say. And it was years of struggle and sacrifice to finally earn the right.

During the last presidential election I was watching the news, one of those candid, person on the street interview pieces. They stopped this twenty-something woman and asked if she planned to vote. She smiled adorably at the camera, then mumbled something about having a nail appointment, doubting she could fit it all in.

Since I don't know her I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the most she got out of those shiny new nails were ten, maybe twelve decent days. But the decisions made by our elected officials have repercussions that last decades.

So why not honor your sisters who paved the way? Grab a ballot, and go excercise your right!


No comments: