Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thursday Thirteen Numero Uno-!


Thirteen Things about Alyson Noel


Because it's Teen Read Week, I'm feeling nostalgic about the Teen books that rocked my world. Here's my list:

1. Are You There God, it's me, Margaret- The Judy Blume classic that was passed around my sixth grade class until Mrs. Balou got hold of it. The next day she held it up and said that she'd "read it in ONE day" and it was "no big deal." Mrs. Balou was a bitter old woman. She was also dead wrong. It still IS a big deal.

2. Deenie- Read immediately after the Margaret book, Deenie taught me about scoliosis and first kisses, assuring me I could survive either one.

3. Catcher in the Rye- Yeah, we had to read it in AP English, but Holden Caulfield spoke to me. And I've read that, and every other JD Salinger book like a gazillion times since.

4. Love is One of the Choices- Whatever happened to Norma Klein, and why are her books out of print?

5. French Postcards- again, Norma Klein, funny, poignant, takes place in Paris. I read it again and again until I could get there on my own.

6. Forever- Yup, another Judy Blume classic, passed around and whispered about, I remember the plot to this day!

7. The Great Gatsby- Not necessarily young adult, but still a great coming of age story!

8. Sarah T Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic- There was even an afterschool special starring Linda Blair!

9. Go Ask Alice- by anonymous. Still haunting to this day.

10. That was Then This is Now- by SE Hinton- Extraordinary, a masterpiece, so awesome.

11. The Outsiders- also SE Hinton. I mean, who can forget Ponyboy?

12. Wuthering Heights- Heathcliff, Cathy, that darn windwept estate. . .

13. Pride and Prejudice- I'm still crushing on Mr. Darcy!


So that's my list. Now I'm curious which books make yours???



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adored "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". My dad gave me a Judy Blume boxed set for my birthday when I was seven and I've been a fan ever since. A few years ago, I started searching bookstores (new and used) for my favorite books from childhood and now have a book case filled with them. Nostalgia at it's best!

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I did NOT like to read when I was younger (I love it now), so I missed a lot of those books. When I was about 13 my mother gave me a Johanna Lindsey romance novel, and that jump started my love of reading. I even still pull out a J.L. romance novel every now and then. ;)

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Courtney-
Yeah, when I was growing up there wasn't the glut of YA books like now. So once I burned through all those on the list I moved on to Judith Krantz, Jacqueline Susanne, Erica Jong- I don't know that I actually understood what they were writing about, but I couldn't get enough!
Alyson

Alyson Noel said...

Hey She-
I recently bought and reread "Margaret" then gave it to my niece. It's amazing how relevant that message still is.
And what I would've done for a boxed set. . .you are sooo lucky!
Alyson

Anonymous said...

i never read pride and prejudice but those books brought back lost of memories

Trish Ryan said...

I'm going to look for a Judy Blume boxed set the next time I'm in B&N...her books were such a part of my childhood I can't believe I lost my copies!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! Judy Blume will always remind me of long summers and hiding under the hot covers with a flashlight. Wonderful.

Girlie said...

My 9-year old is just read #1.

She absolutely loves it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have brought back some memories!! I was a big Judy Blume reader. I didn't have access to "Forever" (only heard rumors about it) until I went on a trip to England at age 13ish and saw it in a bookstore. My love of reading faded away in high school - I think it was all those history and English assignments that got to me - but it's finally back...

Happy Thursday!

K said...

I remember reading The Outsiders... a great book!!

BlondeBrony said...

Those were some great books. I too really enjoyed "Are you there God..."

Happy TT!

Tina said...

I love #1 too! :) I also loved "It's Not The End of the World" by Judy Blume. :)

Great list! Happy Thursday! :)

Measi said...

I was a huge Judy Blume fan when I was in elementary school. :) I didn't read Catcher in the Rye until my junior year of high school, and loved that too. Great Gatsby, though, I hated (it just dragged... and I'm a voracious reader). Maybe now that I'm an adult, I should try it again. Thanks for stopping by my T13. Happy weekend!