Because it's Teen Read Week, I'm feeling nostalgic about the Teen books that rocked my world. Here's my list:
1. Are You There God, it's me, Margaret- The Judy Blume classic that was passed around my sixth grade class until Mrs. Balou got hold of it. The next day she held it up and said that she'd "read it in ONE day" and it was "no big deal." Mrs. Balou was a bitter old woman. She was also dead wrong. It still IS a big deal.
2. Deenie- Read immediately after the Margaret book, Deenie taught me about scoliosis and first kisses, assuring me I could survive either one.
3. Catcher in the Rye- Yeah, we had to read it in AP English, but Holden Caulfield spoke to me. And I've read that, and every other JD Salinger book like a gazillion times since.
4. Love is One of the Choices- Whatever happened to Norma Klein, and why are her books out of print?
5. French Postcards- again, Norma Klein, funny, poignant, takes place in Paris. I read it again and again until I could get there on my own.
6. Forever- Yup, another Judy Blume classic, passed around and whispered about, I remember the plot to this day!
7. The Great Gatsby- Not necessarily young adult, but still a great coming of age story!
8. Sarah T Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic- There was even an afterschool special starring Linda Blair!
9. Go Ask Alice- by anonymous. Still haunting to this day.
10. That was Then This is Now- by SE Hinton- Extraordinary, a masterpiece, so awesome.
11. The Outsiders- also SE Hinton. I mean, who can forget Ponyboy?
12. Wuthering Heights- Heathcliff, Cathy, that darn windwept estate. . .
13. Pride and Prejudice- I'm still crushing on Mr. Darcy!
So that's my list. Now I'm curious which books make yours???
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants